Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Love em while they're little

I love the fact that people can live on through our memories.  Sometimes we shut down after someone passes but we have the opportunity to let their legacy live on.  I only had the opportunity of meeting one of my grandparents.  My moms mom I called her Nana.  But this is not about Nana.  This is about advice I'm taking from Dad's Father.  My dad has always been so generous with his words of his parents that in some ways I feel like I have met them.  When I got pregnant with Isabella my Dad had advice.  I know when your pregnant it's like you put a sign on your back and maybe your forehead too that says "Please give me your opinion!"  That's not the kind of talk my dad had with me.  It was the kind I was really happy to hear.  He told me his dad always said "Love em while they're little, cause they're not little long."

Sweet Isabella

I'm so thankful for those words.  I remember the moment they placed Isabella in my arms.  I was holding this beautiful baby with a head full of dark hair.  You just had to take one look in her sparkling brown eyes to see the determination to take on the world. This baby in my arms looked nothing like me and a lot like her daddy.  And I remember thinking with a bit of fear, "What I'm I going to do with a girl?"  My grandpa's words lingered in my mind. Since that day there has been so many first and unknown and I still take his words.  Great advice for a first time mom.  

Precious Alexandrea

Alexandrea looked a lot like her older sister without the head full of hair.  She was a cuddle bug from the beginning something that has not changed.  Even now Alexandrea doesn't have a great concept of personal space.  So when we're eating any meal it's a given that she will inch her way to be eating in someone's lap by the end of it.  In those moments I try to recall my grandpa's advice.  I figured there's going to come a day when this little girl will go to college.





Whenever I feel irritation rising, or I start to ask myself how many times do I have to this or that (from washing dishes ALL DAY to asking them to clean up after themselves to tying shoes) I hear my grandfather's words.  And although I never met him I'm thankful to carry a piece of him with me.  And I will pass this advice unto my girls.  This is the kind of advice that keeps you from always looking to the future but reminds you to stay in the present and if you follow it you won't be left in the past.

I guess I would leave you with these thoughts.  Never be too busy to pass on the memories, the stories, the wisdom of loved ones in your life.  And remember in the words of my grandpa Garnett Pegg
"Love em while their little, cause they're not little long"

My grandpa with my dad and my uncle.  The 2 youngest of his 5 children



They're Not Little Long






No comments:

Post a Comment