Monday, September 24, 2012

None of your business


Have you ever had one of those weeks where you feel like you've been set-up?  The same theme keeps following you everywhere you go.  You just can't get rid of it.  My set-up started with a statement I cannot shake.  I was scrolling through facebook when my heart attached itself to a statement my cousin posted.  The post was called seven lovely logics.  Everyday since reading it I keep going back to one of them.  It was listed #2 What others think of you is none of your business.  My "people-pleasing", "needing-approval" self cannot remember any of the other logics.  A battle of heart, mind and soul started.  If a statement could rock what I have unknowingly built my life around this was the one.  Part of me jumped up and said "this is true hold on to it.  Stop trying to make everyone think good about you.  It's impossible and exhausting".  While another part of me said "no it should say what others think of me is none of their business.  They shouldn't have an opinion of me".  Isn't it amazing that when faced with something we don't like about ourselves we rush to blame someone else for it.  I can't be secure enough in myself that others are not allowed to have a bad opinion of me?  What a conflict!  

I don't know if it was just one those weeks or if this statement made me more aware of my insecurities, but I could not do anything without thinking about what others thought.  Sometimes I whispered to myself "what other's think of me is none of my business," and other times I screamed it.  This statement didn't fix my problem.  It made me aware of a problem.  I find my value in other people.  I want to be accepted, approved of, affirmed, loved and admired.  My security was found in other people which is not very secure.   

So the question remains how do I stop worrying what others think?  I find my identity in my Creator.  Tomorrow I will wake up knowing I was made for it.  I will ask God who I am and what He has for me and I will allow a process to continue the next day to the next day to the next day.  When I know the truth of what God thinks of me I know I am accepted, approved of, affirmed, loved and admired.  I become secure in who I am in Christ and others opinions' of me is none of my business.


The fear of human opinion disables;
    trusting in God protects you from that.
Proverbs 29:25

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stacey~ I've just stumbled upon your blog and I really liked this post. The fight between caring what people think of you and still trying to be "you" is really tough. I think for me, what I've discovered is that it isn't about not caring what people think, it's about caring what the RIGHT people think. Those are the people you love and know you, and you know and love. Anyone's opinion you who doesn't know you, doesn't matter that much. Not that that is an easy thing to live out, but it's sure helped my people please self :). Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you stopped by Jessica. A very good point. I love the statement that says your friends don't need an explanation and your enemy's won't listen. Thanks for your sweet words

    ReplyDelete